Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Mini Book Binding Tutorial by Cheri Piles using the new Now & Then collection



I have had a lot of requests asking for a tutorial on how I made this book cover. So today I thought I would share with you how I made it. Right now it is one of my favorite ways to make mini books!

Step 1: I like to use GRUNGEBOARD for my covers. If you are not familiar with Grungeboard it is a super flexible, yet sturdy & thick enough to create mini book covers. You can read more about it {HERE}. I buy it in the 12x12 sheets then cut it to the size I want. You can use chipboard in the same fashion but it works better if you score it then slice it a little bit to give it more flexibility, or so I have found. :) I cut my piece 7" tall by 10" wide. Then I scored it 4.5" from each edge leaving a 1" in the center for the spine of the book.

Step 2: I cut two covers from the NEWSPRINT (SIDE B) paper - 4.5 x 7 then adhered them to the fronts. Then I cut a 3 x 7 strip from the FLORAL paper and scored the back side every inch so it will wrap around the spine. Only glue the flaps that will go on the covers so you don't accidentally rip the paper on the spine over use. Add your papers of choice to the inside of covers as well.

Step 3: Take a piece of scratch paper and cut it to the length of your book and fold it in half. Punch holes using a binding system or hole punch. This will create your template where you will put your holes on your book spine.  

Step 4: Trace your holes from your template and punch them using a punch or hole setter. 

Step 5: Cut your wires to length, then insert them into the punched holes from right to left. 
Step 6: Slide all of your papers in then you will need to pinch the wires together with your fingers.


There you go! I hope this inspires you to create a new type of album! My next blog post I will be sharing the inside pages!










17 comments:

  1. Wow amazing result. Great tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial!!! I need to make one (or two)!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for showing how to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice dont have wire but could use binder rings

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terrific! It looks so professional!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tips, Cheri! I can't believe I didn't think to substitute chipboard with grungeboard for book covers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this....fabulous way to bind! So clever. You rock Cheri!

    ReplyDelete
  8. you are amazing, miss cheri! love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. AWESOME tutorial, Cheri! What a gorgeous mini book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Between all 3 tutorials I've seen for this book, I feel like a lucky lady to have been given a free class if that makes sense. This is so amazing. Thank you Cheri!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. does anyone know where to get 12 x 12 grungeboard. I can only find 5 x 8

    ReplyDelete
  12. Does anyone know where I can get 12 x 12 grungeboard. I can only find 5 x 8

    ReplyDelete
  13. Es precioso. Estoy pensado en elaborar un Diario para anotar cómo vivimos la experiencia de la primera vez que mi hijo de 3 años va al colegio y creo que éstas tapas o portada para él harán que sean un recuerdo único. Gracias por compartir en tu blog :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. This tutorial is fabulous, thanks.....hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome!
    Do you know where i can get the wire from?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...